18 March 2014

Compost!

It seems I am suppose to do a post about compost.

 Over a few days last week we worked over 2 garden boxes and I built two more.
 These two new boxes are 4' X 8'.  I raked a large pile of leaves and we filled the boxed and "tilled" in the leaves with the dirt. The plan had always been to add compost.  Going to the compost pile I was very surprised to see how dark and wet the compost was. Nice thick clumps very earthy spots some that look like it might have been store bought. And in just under a year!
I'm no expert. All I can say it we raked leaves added kitchen waste. Mostly egg shells and coffee grounds and any uncooked vegetable waste. We collected our grass clippings for the pile as well. The only other "elements" were wood ash, urine, providing nitrogen, and chicken " droppings" .
If anything we may not have kept the compost pile we enough. we hardly turned it.
To our surprise

No comments: