15 April 2019

Goats for sale and progress bottling the keeper girls

First up, a short progress report on bottling Molly's two daughters, who will be two weeks old Wednesday.  I'm not entirely sure which girl was born first, but Madison (as in Dolly Madison), the girl with the smaller white spot on her forehead, took to the bottle almost immediately, and yesterday took down at least 8 of 9 ounces in the big bottle, plus squabbling for a teat once I let Molly into the pen.  The other girl, whom I originally was going to name Flanders (as in Moll Flanders) but looks more like a Francis (like Baby in Dirty Dancing), finally got a good latch-on this morning and chugged half the big bottle on her own.  So, two bottle babies out of three!  And as Meatloaf sang, "Two outta Three Ain't Bad," especially since these are the first of Molly's kids I've ever gotten on the bottle.  The boy, Pitcher (as in Molly Pitcher) is still not sure about the bottle idea, but I hope to change that the next few mornings.

Because my pasture will only support six adult goats in a dry year, keeping Molly's two daughters means I will need to sell two of the adult herd.  So far, I've decided on selling Tangie, the pretty girl who tends to have singles, but also has the temperament to make a good pet.
Tangie, ADGA registered adult in milk

Cocoa Puff's ornery little imp, whom I call Cinnabon
I'll be taking sales pages up for each to TSC in Palatka today when we do the feed run.

No comments: