09 February 2018

Andre the Giant and Tiny Tim

Chocolate kidded yesterday, pretty much on time by my estimate last week, and boy was this a rough kidding.  If she had tried to do it overnight while we were asleep, or waited for me to leave the property, we would have lost all three.  That's not hyperbole - Andre wasn't just double the size of a normal newborn, he was malpositioned in a bad way.  He was upside-down, with his head back and pointed towards Chocolate's udder, so every time she pushed he went nowhere.  I ended up reaching in, pushing his front legs back in (I felt bad for Chocolate during this) and then bringing his head forward to point the right direction.  I thought for sure I'd be pulling a dead kid, because I did need to pull him due to his size and mam's exhaustion, but as soon as his head was out he gave a cry.  I was so relieved to hear that.  Tiny Tim is actually about average size for a newborn Nigerian Dwarf kid, but next to his brother he looks small.  He came out breech (backwards, hind feet first) and I had to pull him as well because poor Chocolate was both exhausted and in pain (with good reason).
Tiny Tim
Andre the Giant, Chocolate, and Tiny Tim

a better shot of Tiny Tim

Andre looking for his first meal
Andre the Giant complaining
Andre the Giant

looking in the wrong area for the udder!

Chocolate nuzzling her babies,
trying to steer them in the right direction
After she nuzzled and made sure the new boys were dry and knew who mama is, Chocolate laid down to rest.  I tried bottling both, but Andre would have none of that.  Tiny Tim caught on to the bottle idea almost immediately.  I finally pointed Andre towards the one accessible teat while Chocolate was laying down, and heard definite suction when he connected.  I made the joke to hubby afterwards about how the only parts of Andre moving after he latched on to the teat were his tail and tongue ... then looked at the dog and remarked how familiar that is.

Chocolate is still resting and recovering today.  Brownie and Prim are bugging the everlovin' **** out of her, so those two are in dog crates until Chocolate feels up to standing up for herself and babies.  This really drives home the idea that I need a separation pen in the goat pasture.  I've been talking about wanting one, but hadn't bought what we need to put it together.  That will be fixed post-haste.

And a short video!


No comments: