01 February 2018

Two days, two kiddings

I meant to post pictures this morning, but didn't get to it.  Tangie kidded twins yesterday morning, a boy and a girl.  This is her first son, and first set of twins.  I named them Hansel and Gretel.

About an hour ago, hubby went out with his flashlight to investigate a noise he heard, then came up on the back deck, tapped on the back door until I opened it, and said, "Grab your boots, a headlight, and a towel!"  I knew Maggie was close, as I noticed a discharge at feeding time ... I just didn't realize she was in early labor.  She kidded a daughter, but hadn't dried the baby off when I got out there.  Maggie is a bit young to be a mom at eleven months, but apparently Brownie (yes, her sire) got her right before the hurricane, while we were busy obtaining a generator and making preps.

So, Maggie's daughter is dried off, has nursed, and has a clue as to who her mom actually is (as opposed to trying to butt my boobs and suckle on my fingers).  As for Maggie, she had her wires crossed a bit, and was a little slow to realize this little crying tyke is her baby, but I think she's squared away now.  Oh, the name Tyche came to me while I was trying to bottle the little tot.  A quick look-up confirms that is indeed a female name ... the goddess of luck and fortune, daughter of Aphrodite.

Because Dad usually asks how many goats I have now whenever I talk to him: Tyche is number thirteen, Hansel and Gretel numbers eleven and twelve.  I think I have about a week before Chocolate kids again.

No comments: